Charleston was a little confused this past week, as it seemed to believe it was March or April instead of January. I have spent the past week seeing one winter storm alert after another (for other areas of the country) on weather.com, yet it was sunny and in the mid-to-upper 70s for a week straight in Charleston. While my parents and twin brother would tell me on the phone that they hadn’t seen the sun in days, as it was raining constantly in metro-Atlanta this week, Craig and I enjoyed a taste of spring weather. Now, I am definitely the type of person who likes to enjoy all the seasons, but let’s be honest. Charleston doesn’t have a real winter. There’s no snow, but instead the occasional cold rain. So if I can’t enjoy a real winter, anyway, I will gladly take the spring-like weather in January. 🙂
However, yesterday was our last day of really warm weather, and last night the temperature dropped way down (comparatively, at least), and today, it is cold. Our high is in the 50s. Yuck. So, to make the transition back to Charleston-winter weather a little easier, I made meatloaf with mashed potatoes and broccoli for dinner last night – a serious winter comfort food!
I had only made meatloaf one other time since Craig and I got married, and I unfortunately lost that recipe (it was right before I started blogging, so I didn’t have it here). I was going to use my mom’s recipe, but then I decided that I wanted to make my meatloaf in the crock pot instead. I knew I wouldn’t really have a lot of time to make the meatloaf and mashed potatoes after work if we wanted to eat at a decent time, so the crock pot would allow me to just make the meatloaf in the morning, and then make the mashed potatoes after work. So, it was time to try a new recipe! It turns out that although Craig did enjoy the meatloaf I had made for him once before, he is now glad that I lost that recipe because he says this was waaaaayyyy better! So, I figured I better go ahead and blog this meatloaf recipe so that I don’t lose it as well. 😉
Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Recipe from: Group Recipes
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- I used spicy brown mustard because that’s what I had, but spicy brown or regular mustard will work fine.
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, and sage.
- Crumble in ground beef into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Form the beef mixture into a loaf in the center of the crock pot, making sure to leave space between the loaf and the edge of the crock pot.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon the glaze over the loaf.
- Cook on low for six hours.