The night of the first presidential debate, Craig and I were flipping through the few channels we have (we recently got rid of cable) to see if there was anything worth watching on t.v. before the debate. We came upon the new show Guys With Kids. You probably saw a ton of commercials for it if you spent any amount of time watching the Summer Olympics this year. It definitely had some funny parts that cracked us up. After we watched the debate, as we were getting ready for bed, Craig and I found ourselves quoting funny lines over and over. The episode we had watched that evening was apparently the third episode of the season, so we decided that we had to give the first two episodes a chance.
The next night, we sat at our dinner table as the ultimate judges. We had to decide whether we thought Guys With Kids had just one funny episode or if it was a show that we may continue to watch some in the future. At the same time, we had to decide what we thought of the new recipe I was trying: slow cooker cashew chicken. When I make something new, I like Craig to give me a definite response about exactly what he thinks of it. That night, I wasn’t interested running the risk of Craig being too distracted by the show to tell me precisely what he thought of dinner, so I made in taste the meal and give me his detailed opinion before I would actually turn on the show. He told me he loved the meal, but twenty minutes or so into the first episode of the t.v. show, I realized that I actually wouldn’t have had to make Craig give me his reaction in advance. The fact that I had to keep pausing the computer so Craig could go get more helpings of dinner told me what he thought.
This meal definitely has a solid kick to it, but I enjoyed having a little variety from the sweeter tasting chicken meals I normally make to go with rice (honey sesame chicken and sweet and sour chicken). The blogger who originally posted this recipe said that she got it from her brother-in-law after he lived in Thailand for a couple of years. It has kind of a zesty-savory taste with a kick.
Oh, and we also decided that we think the show Guys With Kids is pretty funny in general; it wasn’t just the one episode that made us laugh. 🙂
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
Recipe From: Six Sisters’ Stuff
- 2lb boneless, skinless chicken thing tenders or chicken breast tenders
- I just had chicken breasts, so I cut them into strips to make “tenders.” Then I decided that I wanted to have more surface area covered by the sauce, so I went on to cut them into about 2-inch pieces. Cutting them into smaller pieces also meant I would need to lower the cooking time by a little bit, so that was good for me since I got a late start on making this that day.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar/rice wine vinegar
- I used seasoned rice vinegar because that was what I had.
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- I actually used about a cup or maybe even a little more than a cup.
- Combine flour and pepper into a zip-lock bag. Add the chicken, and shake the bag to coat the chicken with the flour-pepper mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat, and brown the chicken. Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, minced garlic, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes. Mix together, and pour over the chicken. Also, I would say that you definitely need to double the sauce recipe, and perhaps triple it depending on your preference. I tripled it.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours (I only cooked my little chicken pieces for about 2-2 1/2 hours). Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice.